After all, if you don’t have a particular destination in mind, how will you know if you are even heading in the right direction?
And pretty much everyone has been taught, on more than one occasion, how to “correctly” set your goals. You know, the various rhymes and acronyms that remind you to do things like:
- be specific and clear about what you want to achieve
- write down your goals to help make them real
- set deadlines to keep you on track
- identify obstacles so you can tackle them objectively
- write an action list of the tasks that you need to undertake to reach your goals
- create an action plan (what tasks and when) and write it down
And last, but certainly not least, to actually take action and execute your plan.
It’s a very straight forward process yet many still struggle to get any traction and actually move closer to achieving the goals they have set. This is one reason for the repeated reminders via weekend seminars and self help books on how to “correctly” set goals.
This relatively simple goal setting process is an important part of laying a path to move forward but it is not the only important part.
A key aspect many people overlook is defining why you want to achieve these goals. What is your motivation to take action and stay on track?
In other words, what is your ‘Why’?
What is going to motivate you to actively reach financial independence or find greater security?
Unless you have thought about this important question you may struggle to achieve what you want. And, unless your goals and objectives are linked to your values you may be drawn in different directions which means you will struggle to go anywhere.
MaM’s 9 Step Money Program can help you
- understand what motivates you
- know how you can use this information in your everyday money choices
- understand why goal setting is important
- have tools to help you set your own money goals
- have a process to review them on a regular basis.
Having clarity around your ‘why’ will help you become better at planning and organising all the activities in your life, including your money related actions.
Me and Money is an independent resource that empowers women to learn about money and investing in a supportive environment. We supply in-depth learning resources and topical money related articles to companions who join our community. A once only joining fee of $50 allows you to become a Companion for life. Read more about our Money Program and joining our community.